Saturday, June 5, 2010

Charles Henry John West is blessed for going to church

I had joined the tabernacle choir in the old tabernacle. Brother Sanders was our leader. My clothes being a little shabby I kept away several Sundays. Finally I made up my mind to go. I thought it was not my clothes but my voice that was needed. One Sunday after meeting was let out, a Brother John Cox (the brother-in-law of a young man by the name of Joseph Neville, who was keeping company with my daughter Annie) asked me what I was doing, I told him helping masons. He told me his brother-in-law, George H. Knowlden, wanted a clerk in the grain business on Main St. At noon the following day I saw Mr. Knowlden and he took me in his employ at $40 per month, so you see I done some good by going to meeting regardless of fine clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment