Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Mary Smith attends Relief Society

 Sep 1842: I have heard about a new society for women that was organized by the Prophet on the 17th of March, 1842. His wife, Emma was made President. Emma was actually chosen by the Lord as the elect lady to expound and teach the scriptures. The women in our little settlement have been talking about It and I knew that I must find out about this new event in our lives.

The Society first met in the Masonry Hall above Joseph Smith’s Store, but it has outgrown that room and is now meeting in four groups in the little groves.

Today I told Edward I was going into Nauvoo for a meeting of some women. He was a little upset. “You mean you are going to take the younguns to a meeting al the way into Nauvoo? Don’t they have enough meetings around here without trotting all over the country?” I didn’t back down. I said: “Mr. Robinson, this is something special and I have made up my mind to go. The younguns are going over to the Taylors and your dinner is in the warming oven. Goodbye.”

I felt guilty as I drove the horse and buggy down the road to Nauvoo, but something told me I was doing the right thing. I found the meeting. It was so different, with the women presiding and doing the talking. They have found out that we can do things without the men taking charge. Emma Smith told us how the Lord has revealed the way this organization should be started--orderly and under the Priesthood. We had a lesson on gospel principles, the Eliza R. Snow read to us the purpose of the Female Relief Society of Nauvoo:

“To provoke the brethren to good works in looking to the wants of the poor, searching after objects of charity, and in administering to their wants, to assist, by correcting the morals and strengthening the virtues of the community, and save the Elders the trouble of rebuking that they may give their time to other duties in their public teaching.”

The Prophet told the ladies at the first meeting: “You will receive instructions trough the order of the Priesthood and I now turn the key in your behalf in the name of the Lord. This Society shall rejoice, and knowledge and intelligence shall flow down from this time henceforth; this is the beginning of better days to the poor and needy, who shall be made to rejoice and pour forth blessings on your head.”

The Treasurer discussed funds which started with a $5 gold piece the Prophet had given Emma. Many women stood up and told of what they were doing, such as sewing, cooking, cleaning and other things to help build the Temple. We were told to visit our neighbors and report back of anyone in need. We were cautioned not to spread gossip, but I am afraid that is wishful thinking. How could we have a women’s society without gossip? We sang a song by Eliza R. Snow. The spirit of the Lord was there and I loved the women and our new Female Relief Society of Nauvoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment