Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Diary of Mary Smith

Diary of Mary Smith

12/97 - The original of the diary is in the possesion of Lois Evans in Lehi Utah.  Her family also has the watch.  Edward settled in American Fork.  After his death the property was given to American Fork and is now the city park.


May 1 (May Day) 1828: Mum gave me a diary because I am 18 and I promised to write in it faithfully. It was a beautiful spring day. Elizabeth, Maria and I went to the Fair to buy new ribbons for our bonnets. My silly6 little sisters were giggling and I looked up and saw the handsomest stranger staring at me. He was even bold enough to wink at me.

May 7, 1828: Today I saw him again. How did he know where I lived? He stopped at our gate and petted Rex. His name is Edward Robinson.


Every Sunday Edward has walked over from Little Sutton to Great Neston to “walk out with me.”

June: last night Edward proposed and I said “Yes.”

July: We have posted our bans and we took a large ( ) over to Manchester to the old Cathedral and were married. The new ribbons came in handy to tie on my new bonnet. I am the happiest girl in the world.

July 15: We rented a tiny cottage in Upton near our families. I have been hanging curtains, cleaning and cooking for Edward.

Nov 25, 1830: Today I was put to bed with a fine son, Richard.

May 1831: Edward and I decided to move to Liverpool to find work.

10 Mar 1832: I was put to bed with our second son, John.

July 1832: Liverpool is big and dirty and full of strange people from all over the world because it is such a big seaport town. We are not very happy here.

June 1832: Yesterday we bundled up our belongings and went by boat down to Manchester. Manchester is the center of the cotton industry. We heard cotton workers we needed badly. They are paid such high wages they ride to work in cabs. People are coming from all over Great Britain.

July 1833: We make more money here but everything is so dear. The air is so smoky. The factory chimneys pour our black smoke everywhere. I wash and wash things all the time, but everything is still dingy and dirty. Our babies are coughing and choking most of the time.

3 Feb 1834: Last night Edward said: “Mary, we have to get out of here. I am going to find something else to do.”

Mar 25 1834: Today Edward came home early. He was all excited and shouted: “Mary, Mary guess what? I have found a job as a footman on a big manor, right out of Manchester.”

Dear Diary: At last we are settled and I hope it will be for a long time. Our little cottage they gave us is clean and neat, and we can breathe! You should see my Edward in his livery. His broad shoulders and fine walk make him look like a prince. He really is a prince to me.

July 1839: It has been a long time since I wrote in my diary. Into our Paradise, sadness came--our two new sweet little girls Mary and Margaret were with us for such a short time. Oh, the nights I have cried and cried when I think of the tiny graves in the Parish Churchyard. Dear God, help me!

Aug 1840: God heard my prayers for comfort and has sent two more boys, Edward and William. I have been too busy and happy and have forgotten to write in my book.

Sep 1840: The lord of the manor has asked Edward to help build the new-fangled railroad to run from Manchester to Liverpool, then he will be hired as a “gard” or conductor. Edward loves this new adventure.

Dec 1840: The train jumped the tracks again because of the snow. My smart Edward told the owners to put some sand on the tracks, which has helped.

Sunday, May 1841: We had our usual ride to Liverpool and back. We felt as if we were flying--sometimes we went as fast as 29 miles an hour. How the children love the ride on the “Rocket” with their pappy.

June 1841: Something happened today that has made me excited but thoughtful. two me, Hiram Clard and William Clayton, came by our cottage with a message about a new religion. I knew they spoke the truth. My whole being was filled with excitement, but Edward was reluctant to accept them.

July 1841: William became very, very ill today. I cried out toe Edward, “We need help for our baby.” The memory of our two little girls came back upon me and I was scared. Something whispered what I should do. I sent Edward for the missionaries. He was not too convinced, but I insisted. As I rocked little William, I pleaded with the Lord to spare his life until Edward could return. He finally came and with him was a handsome man with piercing eyes, who spoke gently to me and told me not to be afraid. He was Brigham Young and he and his companion took my feverish baby and said a prayer that is still in my heart. William was blessed that he would be made well and live to a ripe old age.

Aug 29 1841: I pray every day that Edward will be baptized and I can be also. He is a good man. He pays the fare for the missionaries on the train and sometimes even takes them to my father’s tailor shop and buys new clothes for them.

Jan 18 1842: My prayers have been answered. Today Edward was baptized and we are already making plans to go to ZION. It has taken great courage for Edward to give up his position and to leave our little cottage, where he has planted so many beautiful flowers and shrubs, but we have turned our backs on it all and we sailed from Liverpool for New Orleans, with our five children and another one traveling with me. Before we left the Railroad presented a beautiful silver watch to Edward in appreciation of his services.

Mar 6 1842: Today aboard the Ship “Henry”, I was put to bed with another baby. The seas were angry and Edward tried to calm our five little sick ones and help me when he could. Finally the ship’s doctor reached the little corner of the deck where Edward had hung a quilt for privacy and to keep out the cold north wind. The doctor was brusque, but kind, but I am sure the children were frightened at the screams of their mother. Dear Diary, when little Mary Jane was laid in my arms, it was worth it all.

Aug 1842: We have reached Nauvoo, the City Beautiful. My dram has come true. Such a welcome by the Saints. I shall never forget my first glimpse of the Prophet…the feeling of greatness about him…and his eyes that seem to see the depths of your soul.

We have bought a small farm just out of Nauvoo. Edward has planted the flower seeds and little starts he carefully tended on the long journey.

Sep 1842: I have heard about a new society for women that was organized by the Prophet on the 17th of March, 1842. His wife, Emma was made President. Emma was actually chosen by the Lord as the elect lady to expound and teach the scriptures. The women in our little settlement have been talking about It and I knew that I must find out about this new event in our lives.

The Society first met in the Masonry Hall above Joseph Smith’s Store, but it has outgrown that room and is now meeting in four groups in the little groves.

Today I told Edward I was going into Nauvoo for a meeting of some women. He was a little upset. “You mean you are going to take the younguns to a meeting al the way into Nauvoo? Don’t they have enough meetings around here without trotting all over the country?” I didn’t back down. I said: “Mr. Robinson, this is something special and I have made up my mind to go. The younguns are going over to the Taylors and your dinner is in the warming oven. Goodbye.”

I felt guilty as I drove the horse and buggy down the road to Nauvoo, but something told me I was doing the right thing. I found the meeting. It was so different, with the women presiding and doing the talking. They have found out that we can do things without the men taking charge. Emma Smith told us how the Lord has revealed the way this organization should be started--orderly and under the Priesthood. We had a lesson on gospel principles, the Eliza R. Snow read to us the purpose of the Female Relief Society of Nauvoo:

“To provoke the brethren to good works in looking to the wants of the poor, searching after objects of charity, and in administering to their wants, to assist, by correcting the morals and strengthening the virtues of the community, and save the Elders the trouble of rebuking that they may give their time to other duties in their public teaching.”

The Prophet told the ladies at the first meeting: “You will receive instructions trough the order of the Priesthood and I now turn the key in your behalf in the name of the Lord. This Society shall rejoice, and knowledge and intelligence shall flow down from this time henceforth; this is the beginning of better days to the poor and needy, who shall be made to rejoice and pour forth blessings on your head.”

The Treasurer discussed funds which started with a $5 gold piece the Prophet had given Emma. Many women stood up and told of what they were doing, such as sewing, cooking, cleaning and other things to help build the Temple. We were told to visit our neighbors and report back of anyone in need. We were cautioned not to spread gossip, but I am afraid that is wishful thinking. How could we have a women’s society without gossip? We sang a song by Eliza R. Snow. The spirit of the Lord was there and I loved the women and our new Female Relief Society of Nauvoo.

Sep 1844: I was put to bed again with another little boy. I knew his name should be Joseph, after the beloved Prophet. Edward and I are so happy being in Zion.

Sep 2 1844: I must write in my diary today and tell my feelings for this Church that I love so much and for my family and the dear sisters of the Relief Society. My hand is trembling so I can scarcely write. I feel very hot and sick. Dear Sister Wootton is helping me, but I will be glad when Edward comes in from the brickyard.

That was the last entry, because on that day, one day after the birth of little Joseph, Mary was called home, leaving five little boys and two daughters and her beloved Edward.

When Joseph was about three, he joined his mother and his two sisters, Mary and Margaret In our Heavenly Father’s Kingdom.

Edward wept, no doubt, when he visited Mary’s grave for the last time, and gently laid some of his beautiful flowers over he head. Then he and his family followed the trail, which led to the west.

No comments:

Post a Comment