Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Will of Richard Smith Robinson

I, Richard Smith Robinson, of Kanab, County of Kane, State of Utah, of the age of seventy-one years and being of sound mind and not under duress, menace, fraud or undue influence do make, publish and declare this my last will and testament in manner following that is to say:

First: I direct that my body be modestly and decently buried at Kanab beside my wife Elizabeth.

Second: I direct that my executors, hereinafter names, as soon as they have sufficient funds in their hands, pay my funeral expenses and the expen¬ses of my last sickness and all my just and lawful debts.

Third: I direct that sufficient means for the proper care and burial of my wife Mary Ann Robinson now an inmate of the State Insane Asylum, be paid out of the income of my personal and real estate, and when she departs this life I if practicable, that she also be interred at Kanab and it is my desire that a fitting monument, bearing my name, etc., and the names of my wives, Elizabeth, Mary Ann, and Mary Kate, be inscribed thereon and it be erected over my tomb.

Fourth: That the residue of my possessions shall go to my children or their heirs, share and share alike in equal division as to value, except my son John W. and daughter Artimitta K., who shall receive one hundred ($100.00) dollars more than the other heirs because of the continual illness of the former and the crippled condition of the latter's husband.



1st.  My son Richard Joseph Robinson
2nd. My daughter Elizabeth Ann Westover
3rd.  My son John Wootton Robinson
4th.  My daughter Artimitta Kate Brinkerhoff
5th.  My son George Heber Robinson
6th.  My son Oscar Attewall Robinson
7th.  My daughter Mary Ellen Brown
8th.  My daughter Sarah Blanch Hamblin
9th.  My daughter Martha Amy Stewart
10th. My son Robert Eccles Robinson
11th. My son Thomas Edward Robinson
12th. My son David Henry Robinson
13th. My son Wilford Smith Robinson
14th. My daughter Mary Elizabeth Robinson Shumway
15th. My son Richard Lafayette Robinson
16th. My son Hyrum Charles Robinson
17th. My son Joseph Eldridge Robinson

 Lastly: I hereby appoint my sons, Robert Eccles Robinson, George Heber Robinson and Joseph Eldridge Robinson, my executors and they may act, if so deposed without bonds. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand this 20th day of April in the year of our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Two.

Witnesses: Geo. H. Robinson H. E. Robinson

State of Utah, County of Kane In the matter of the estate of Richard S. Robinson deceased.

The Last Will of Richard S. Robinson deceased, a copy of which is hereto annexed having been proved and recorded in the District Court of the County of Kane, George H. Robinson, Robert E. Robinson, and Joseph E. Robinson,





George H. Robinson swore to support, obey the rights and faithfully do his duties as executor of the last will and testament of Richard S. Robinson. Oct. 28, 1902 by J. G. Spencer, clerk.

Recorded in Executors Record A

Page 133--May 4, 1903--Kane County, Kanab, Utah.

There are a few items left out of Richard and Elizabeth I s biography by Harriet R. Judd, which I (Esther Judd) would like to draw to your attention.

While Richard was working with the .Indians with Jacob Hamblin and others, Elizabeth was home taking care of the farm at Harmony. Here her first child, a son, was born on Sept. 4, 1854, and named Richard Joseph Robinson. He was born just four months to the day since they had arrived at this place.

This event could have taken place in Fort Harmony for that is the year the fort was built.

Elizabeth gave birth to a little girl, named Elizabeth Ann Robinson, on Jan. 1, 1856, while the family was still living at Fort Harmony. Elizabeth was cared for by the frontier midwife as there were no doctors.

The family moved to Pinto the fall of 1856, and Elizabeth's son, Edward G. Robinson, was born Dec. 3, 1857. He died Dec. 6,1858, at Pinto, Utah.

Elizabeth lost another child, Emma Jane Robinson, born Feb. 23, 1861, died Dec. 26,1861, and buried at Pinto, Utah.

Richard and Elizabeth Robinson traveled to Salt Lake City and Elizabeth received her endowments on Sept. 5, 1863, in the Endowment House. She was sealed to her husband on the same day. She listed as her father and mother, George and Ann Wootton.

William Alfred Robinson was born Dec. 6, 1863, in Pinto. He died Jan. 28,1865, in Pinto, Utah.

The deaths of these three children was a worry to Elizabeth,- for the gospel taught her that she would be able to raise her dead children and she pictured herself with three babies on her lap at one time, until she was able to talk to one of the Apostles who explained this principle to her.

No doubt the sisters who took care of her had no training and we know there was no medicine but the herbs that grew about their home. Much of the use of these herbs was learned from the Indians as the Indian missionaries went among them.

No comments:

Post a Comment