Sunday, March 20, 2011

Autobiography of Zilnorah Draper Barnett

I was born in Kaysville, Davis Co., Utah, Sept. 28, 1893. I was the sixth child of a family of twelve children, of George Henry Draper and Eliza Alice West. The other members of the family are: Eliza Jane, born June 8, 1882; George William, born July 6, 1884, died March 1888; Charles Henry, born July 15, 1886, died March 1, 1935; Louisa May, born May 13, 1889, died October 21, 1889; Jesse Hyrum, born Dee. 24, 1890, died April 27, 1943; Jabez Miland, born Jan. 31, 1896, died July 21, 1918; Caroline Edith. born July 16, 1898; Annie Alice, born August 6, 1901; Ella May, born May 9, 1904; Thomas LeRoy, born Sept 14, 1907; Leona, born September 13, 1909.

My parents and grandparents were Pioneers. My father was born in Easterton, Wiltshire, England on March 10, 1862. My mother was born in London, Middlesex, England on April 6, 1862. They both came from England and crossed the plains with their parents when they were very small children.


My earliest recollection of my life was when I was about three years old, of being lost from my home.

My father had taken me with him when he went to the field to plow. At the time the oak brush was quite thick around our fields. I got tired and asked to go home, father consented as it was only a short distance from the house, but I decided to make a short cut through the fields and oak brush and, of course, I soon became confused and lost. I waded through a shallow creek and came to an old slough. Then I did not know which way to go. I wandered around and finally saw a house. I can remember knocking on the door but no one answered so I cried myself to sleep. When my father returned home and learned that I had not returned he and his hired men set out on horses to find me. After several hours of anxious searching, they found me still asleep on the doorstep about two miles from home. It had been begun to rain and was almost dark. The people who lived there had not returned and it is lucky that they had not, for they owned a very vicious dog and they had it with them. My grandfather, who was a Patriarch, told them which way to go to find me.

In May 1900, before I was seven years old, our family moved to Syracuse, Davis Co., Utah, to a big farm or ranch of 160 acres. This farm belonged to Knight and Co. During that first summer that we lived there, I had a sunstroke probably because there was little shade. We had been used to playing in a large grape arbor at the old home in Kaysville with plenty of shade. The sunstroke affected the upper part of my body and face and I have had a thin face all of my life, although normal in health otherwise. The farm provided plenty of good food and we always raised a good garden and had meat of every kind, including chickens and eggs, and ducks which I used to watch swimming on the old pond.

My father was the foreman of this ranch and we always had hired help, both in the house and on the farm. I can see the great big table where we served meals and the big batches of bread mother used to make and pies and cakes, etc. We had many happy times on this farm. We used to gather around the organ in the evening and sing until past bedtime. Mother had a very sweet, beautiful voice. We used to have her sing the old favorites over and over. She always sang plaintive songs that touched the heart strings, some of which were, "I'll Take You to Your Home Again Kathleen," "Fly Across the Ocean Birdie," and "Father, Dear Father, Come Home With Me Now," and others too numerous to mention here.

My schooling commenced in Syracuse, two miles from our home, with John E. Thurgood as teacher, in a one room building where he taught eight grades. My brothers and myself walked to this school when weather permitted. In stormy weather we rode in a two wheel cart drawn by a horse, one of which we called "Old Doll" which we had for many years. Sometimes we rode in a homemade bobsled also drawn by a horse, when there was enough snow. One time I remember the roads were very muddy and sloppy, the horse shied
at something in the road and tipped the cart over and we fell in the mud. We were a muddy mess when we arrived home, but otherwise unharmed.

My last two years of schooling were in the new school building. one mile farther to walk. I graduated from the eighth grade, June 4, 1909. My teacher was Ella T. Dibble.

I was baptized by my father, October 26,1901, in a pond owned by William Criddle. Ebenezer Henry Williams confirmed me the same day that I was baptized. I had a Patriarchal Blessing on January 13, 1909. The Syracuse Ward was divided on November 3, 1907, and we then were in the new Clearfield Ward. My Father was sustained as the first Ward Clerk of the new Ward.

My father assisted in building the chapel in the new ward and we were custodians of the Chapel for many years. All of the family who were old enough helped with the sweeping and dusting.

The first position I held was secretary and treasurer of the Primary of the Clearfield Ward from October 23, 1911, to January 23, 1916.

In January 1911, I was stricken with Erysipelas and was very ill for five weeks, but with good nursing from my parents and grandmother West, and the administration of the Elders, I regained a portion of health and could get around, but lost all my hair, which was very embarrassing to me, and I suffered with abscesses behind my right ear for about eight months. However, I feel that I was wonderfully blessed that I did not lose my hearing. My health afterwards was very good for many years, and my hair came in curly and very long and a beautiful shade of brown. I really appreciated that blessing.

I was set apart as secretary and instructor in the Religion Class of the Clearfield Ward December 14, 1913 and released October 17, 1915. At Ward Conference on November 9, 1913, I was sustained as an Assistant Ward Clerk of the Clearfield Ward. I was set apart as Stake Secretary of the Religion Classes, August 22, 1915. These positions I held until I married and moved away from the ward.

In the fall of 1917, there were several cases of Typhoid Fever in the ward, my brother Thomas Leroy being among the number. I took entire care of him, following closely the doctors orders, the responsibility of which I felt very keenly. On November 11th, the same year, my brother, Jabez, was called into Military service. Thomas recovered but Mother's health was very poor, probably because of worry over my two brothers and because of World War I raging.

I received my endowments in the Salt Lake Temple. January 30, 1918. I wanted to help my father with temple work because mother was unable to go very often. On my second trip to the temple, I met John William Barnett, who later became my husband.

Our home was saddened on May 5,1918, when our dear mother was taken from us in death, leaving a large family to mourn her loss, myself the oldest at home unmarried. I can never forget my feelings of responsibility that I felt in her passing, leaving me to care for the home and help father in rearing the family in righteous living, as she would have done.

Then our home was struck with another blow, my soldier brother Jabez was killed in action in Aisne-¬Marne France, on July 21, 1918. His body was recovered and buried in a cemetery in Aisne, France. Later it was brought to his home in Clearfield where funeral services were held, July 24, 1921. He was buried in South Jordan Cemetery beside our mother, sister Louise, and grandparents Draper.

My husband and I were married January 16, 1919. in the Salt Lake Temple. during a Influenza Epidemic which had spread over the country for several months. No more than five people were allowed in a public building at one time. We had had our endowments the year before, so by special appointment, John William Barnett and I were married. My father acted as one of the witnesses. I can never forget how still everything was with only Joseph Christenson who performed the ceremony and one other witness besides my father in the sealing room..

Two weeks later we moved to Woodrow. in the Sugarville Ward, Deseret Stake, which was known as the Delta project. where we lived for one year and eleven months and tried to farm. We built a two room house, which I shingled myself. after being shown by a carpenter how to put the shingles on straight. While we lived there, I was secretary of the Sugarville Sunday School and Superintendent of the Religion Classes. and also acted as Relief Society Teacber.

Our crops were very poor and hail destroyed our crop the second year. I weighed beets for the Utah Idaho Sugar Co. at Sugarville, for $3.00 per day for both seasons to help earn our living because our crops would not provide.

Then my husband's mother who was ill, needed help so we came back to Kaysville. John worked on the railroad as a section hand and I helped in the home. We gave up our Woodrow home and let the mortgage take it, for we could not pay for it. John had built the Kaysville home for his mother in 1907. When we were married. we gave her a life lease on the home, so when she died on July 9. 1921. we stayed on and here our children were born.

The first summer we lived in Woodrow, my husband was very ill for a few days. The doctor could not tell what the trouble was and thought that we might have to send him to a hospital in Salt Lake City for treatment. It looked like we might have a serious time, but we sent for the Elders and had him administered to, and he recovered very quickly. The doctor who was not a Mormon was "very much surprised at his quick recovery.

While we belonged to the Sugarville Ward, I did a considerable amount of home nursing in connection with the Relief Society. We moved to Kaysville in 1921.

Our first child, a son, George William, was born September 8, 1921. I was seriously ill at his birth and after for three weeks, but with good nursing and faith I regained my health. Our first girl Mary, was born November 19. 1923. This time I was wonderfully blessed by getting through confinement exceptionally well. Our second girl, Ruth was born February 13, 1926. I had a normal confinement with her birth also.

The first position I held after returning to Kaysville Ward was assistant secretary and member of the Genealogical Committee of the North Davis Stake on May 27, 1923. My father was chairman of that committee. After the death of my father, which occurred December 3, 1924. I went on working in the above
office with the new chairman, David Stoker. On August 25, 1924, I was advanced to the office of Secretary of the same organization and then Treasurer. With the exception of two months, I served in these positions until October 20, 1940 when the teaching of Genealogy was assigned to the Sunday School and the Stake Committee were all released. On November 5, 1940, I was appointed as a teacher in the Genealogical Class of the Sunday School in the Kaysville Ward, where I taught until the class was discontinued December 14, 1941.

For a number of years I did maternity nursing in the community and enjoyed the work among the mothers and young babies.

In February 1942, our son George received a call to the Eastern Canadian Mission. He left for that mission on April 1, 1942.

During the summer after he left I was seriously ill for many weeks with a heart condition. Our daughter Mary was married to Joseph O. Thorson in the Logan Temple July 30, 1942, and I was so ill that I could not go to the Temple with them, which was a sad disappointment to me. My sister Ella May Smedley and husband Bernard and my husband accompanied them to the temple.

By the time that George received his release I was able to go to Oregon, where Mary and Joe lived to meet him and we all had a very enjoyable time together. Ruth accompanied me too. John was unable to leave his work or it would have been perfect.

When George came home he was married May 10, 1944, to Catherine Elaine Smedley in the Salt Lake Temple. On June 14, 1944, he entered Military Training and left home for basic training at Camp Wolters, Texas. In December 1944, he was sent overseas to the European Theater of War. He went into action with the 87th Infantry Division, Heavy Weapons Co. He was discharged from military duty May 10, 1946.

While George was in Camp Wolters, my husband was very ill and underwent a serious operation, and we had to send for George for his illness was such that it could easily have caused his death. George came home on an emergency furlough for ten days. John recovered quite well and went back to work in five weeks, although he had to take a lighter job.

Our daughter Ruth was married to Roland Chambers Wright on October 25, 1944, in the Salt Lake Temple. It is surely a blessing to have all of our children married in the Temple.

We have always been thrilled with their achievements and their work in the church, where they have all served. George as a Bishop of the Mound Fort Ward in Ogden, Utah. President of the M.I.A, Sunday School Teacher, and on the Stake Sunday School Board. Mary's work has been with the M.I.A and Primary organization of the Kaysville 6th Ward. She also served in Primary work in other wards she has lived in. Ruth's work has been with the M.I.A, receiving her Golden Gleaner Award, and she has also been literature teacher in the Relief Society in her ward in Ogden. .

My husband died October 18, 1946. After his second operation. he lingered for several months but never was well after it. His death was caused from cancer of the liver and colon.

After John's death I went to work for Inland Printing Co. for a few weeks in the Bindery Department.

It was not steady work nor were the wages satisfactory so I went to work in Ogden at the Ogden Knitting Co. where I worked for almost eight years. I also worked at Salt Lake Knitting Works for three years, then retired.

On July 28, 1953, I sold my home and bought a lot downtown and George built or overseen the building of a new little brick home where I now live. This home was completed July 23, 1946. My children all helped with the work too, including the in-laws, painting or whatever needed to be done. I will always be very grateful for their help and goodness to me.

The soil around the house is very productive and has produced a good garden every year since I lived here.

I have enjoyed my work in the Church. I know that is the way to keep one's testimony strong. I love the genealogical work and I have enjoyed teaching it, especially have I enjoyed teaching the basic course in Genealogy, where we have compiled a Book of Remembrance.

I also had the privilege of being a Stake missionary for two years, which taught me how to study the gospel and increased my testimony. I hope to keep my testimony strong all the rest of my days, and I am sure that can come only through obedience to the commandments of the Lord through his servants, and keeping active in the Church.

I have always respected those in authority. I was taught that from my earliest childhood. I have seen the sick healed through his servants, and had my prayers answered many times.

On October 15, 1959, I was accepted as a member of the •Phillip's Camp• of the Daughters of Pioneers. On April 13, 1961, I was installed as Chaplin of Phillip's Camp of the Daughters of Pioneers, released in 1963.

On November 7,1961 I commenced another Genealogical Workshop Class in connection with M.I.A which I continued to teach until February' 20, 1962. The Ward was divided February 11, 1962, which places me in the new 8th Ward, so I was released, but awarded three of the class with their certificates.

I was called to act as a teacher in the Genealogy Class of the Sunday School with Mary Timothy. On March 25, 1962, I was called to act as a member of the Ward Genealogical Committee but on April 1, 1962, was called by the Stake Presidency to act as a Stake Researcher on the Stake Genealogical Committee and set apart the same day by G. LaVirl Stewart, in a special Stake meeting held in the Stake house.

On April 11, 1963, I was called to act as custodian of Pioneer relics for Phillip's Camp of Daughters of Pioneers. I was thrilled to have the privilege of going to Salt Lake to Little Cottonwood Canyon to go through the new Storage Vault of the microfilm records. It is most marvelous site to walk into the mountain and view the mighty works of our Church officials and to have a safe place for our records. I shall never forget this occasion of December 19, 1963. It surely increases one's testimony of the revelations of our Prophets of our great Latter-Day Saint Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment