Sunday, January 16, 2011

Vernon Alvin Black - some autobiographical notes

Vernon Alvin Black

autobiographical notes



Born March 9, 1911, Huntington, Utah

Lived in Bluebell, Utah 1915-1916

Started school in Huntington, Utah, 1917.

Moved with parents to Roosevelt, Utah 1918. Went to second, third and part of fourth grade there.

Was baptized a member of the Church in 1919 in Roosevelt, Utah. Moved to Wellington, Utah, in 1920 and finished the fourth grade in school there.


Moved with parents to Glendale, Utah middle of 1920. Went to 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade there.

In 1926 I started 9th grade in high school in Cedar City. Came home for Thanksgiving and was quarantined for measles for 30 days and never went back to school that year.

In 1927 I started 9th grade in high school in Orderville. In January I was in a car wreck and was crippled up pretty bad and never finished the 9th grade that year.

In 1928 I started school in the 9th grade in Orderville again.

Nothing of an adverse nature happened so I finally finished 9th grade. All went well and in 1929, 1930, 1931 I finished High School and graduated in 1931. I drove school bus from Glendale to Orderville in 1932-1933.

In July of 1933 I married the most wonderful young lady I had ever met. "Very Happy." This was in the depression and it was very hard to get a job but we managed quite well. Sometimes I had to work for $1.00 per day but in those days you could buy $1.00 worth of goods for $1. 00.

Anna Deal Robinson and I were married in the Manti Templ and were sealed for time and eternity, July 26, 1933.

Our olderst daughter was born two days before Christmas 1934.

We lived in Glendale three or four years, then we went to Mecca, California, where I worked from September 1936 until February 1937, then we came back to Kanab where we lived.

Our oldest son Velden was born in Kanab August 4, 1938. Carolyn, our second daughter, was born in Kanab August 2, 1944.

We moved to Caldwell, Idaho, in 1949, and were there a couple of years. While we were there our third daughter, Beverlee, was born July 25, 1950.

Deal's father died in January 1951. We moved back to Kanab shortly after that. Our youngest son, Kerry Lynn, was born in Kanab on May 12, 1953.

I did home construction in and around Kanab most of the time, although I sheared sheep each spring starting in northern Arizona about April 4 and finishing up in Northern Montana about July 24.

In 1977, Anna Deal and I went on a mission for the LDS Church to Michigan Lansing Mission. We returned to Kanab May 1979. In January 1984 we were called as ordinance workers in the St. George Temple.

In April, 1988, we were called to go on a mission to Baton Rouge, Louisiana. April 13, 1988. We are there now. (July 11, 1988)

Some things I can Remember

In February 1929, I was called to go on a Stake Mission for two weeks. "Special calling" without purse or script. Very interesting. In Fredonia Franklin Heaton was my companion.

Anna Deal and I were called on a two-year stake mission. Don't remember just when but have the date back home "remind us when we get home" haven't been released yet.

Richard Horton was our mission president. In November 1977 we were called to go on an 18 month mission to the Michigan Lansing Mission. While we were there the mission was divided and we were in the Michigan Dearborn Mission the last half of our mission. Returned home in May, 1979. "Refer to my missionary diary for details." (This was a proselyting mission.)

I love to hunt and fish.

I loved sports: football, basketball, track, etc. Participated in them when I was young. Attended them when my children were participating in the them. Also my grandchildren.

Loved to backpack - went on some very interesting back pack trips up in the Uinta Mountains.

In April 1988 backpacked down through Houserock Canyon to the Colorado River with Velden, Kerry, and Ray Thorson.
I loved to go camping.

About as Far Back as I can Remember

In 1915 my family moved from Huntington, Utah to Bluebell, Utah. In 1917 we moved back to Huntington, Utah where I started school in the fall of 1917. In 1918 we moved to Roosevelt, Utah where Dad worked for the Studebaker Wagon Company as a salesman.

I was ordained to the office of a Deacon in 1923 in Glendale, Utah. I was president of the Deacon's Quorum for a couple of years.

In 1926 I was ordained a teacher. In 1926 was president of the Teachers Quorum for about one year.

In the spring of 1928 Dad ran a sheep shearing plant down on the Hurricane Rim and I went with him where I proceeded to learn to shear sheep. I sheared nearly every spring for about two months each spring in various places until 1960.

Anna Deal and I were married on July 26, 1933, in the Manti Temple. We built a little two-room home on Dad's property in Glendale, Utah. This was during the depression of 1930-40. I worked in various jobs--sometimes for $1.50 per day.

Our first child, Phyllis Gayle, was born December 23, 1934.

In September, 1936 we went to Mecca, California to work. I helped unload cement from box cars. It was used to build an aquaduct from Parker Dam on the Colorado River to Los Angeles, California. In February 1937 we moved back to Kanab.

On August 4, 1938, our oldest son, Velden A. was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment